Meet Our Team
Since 1995, the Black Hawk County Solid Waste Management Commission has provided free waste reduction outreach through the Waste Trac Education Program providing for :
- Answering the telephone helpline (319-266-TRAC)
- Managing this website
- Publishing the Commission's Newsletter
- Providing free educational programs and tours to youth, adults, and the general public in Black Hawk County
- Organizing and promoting Commission sponsored drop-off events for Black Hawk County residents to properly dispose of household toxins and recycle home electronics
- Recruiting volunteers to assist during the Commission's spring and fall drop-off events
- Coordinating the Commission's Portable Event Recycling Equipment Loan Program
- Connecting the public with recycling and waste related resources and helping schools go "green"!
Through a partnership with the City of Cedar Falls, the Education Center is located at 1500 Bluff Street and is available for programs and meetings by appointment (behind the Cedar Falls Transfer Station and Recycling Center).
Staff is available to provide programs about garbage, recycling, composting, reusing, and more throughout Black Hawk County at no charge:
- During a visit to their Education Center
- On walking tours at the Black Hawk County Sanitary Landfill or the Cedar Falls Transfer Station
- Through outreach activities at your school or group meeting location
- At programs scheduled in public locations (libraries, city or county parks, churches, etc.)
- During your field trip with Hartman Reserve Nature Center in Cedar Falls
Contact the Waste Trac Education Team by calling 319-266-TRAC (8722) or send them a message.
Check out the Waste Trac Education Team social media sites!
Learn about their programs, see photos from events, watch awesome videos, find fun reuse crafts for a wide variety of items, and much more:
Green Iowa AmeriCorps Sustainable Schools
Since 2020, the Black Hawk County Solid Waste Management Commission has partnered with Green Iowa AmeriCorps through the GIA Sustainable Schools Program. Members work on sustainability related initiatives and assist teachers and staff in implementing environmental projects.
Sustainable School Members can:
- Collaborate with school staff and students on finding innovative ways to manage certain materials (such as garbage, paper, plastic, food waste, or litter) through waste audits, environmental needs assessments, and diversion programs.
- Use the needs assessment to develop hands-on project based student iniatives (such as pollinator gardens, school yard composting, classroom recycling, etc.).
- Show the importance of using the waste hierarchy as a guide for our decision making.
- Help students think about our collective choices and the consequences of those activities on our ecosystems.
- Support the development of students into environmentally conscious citizens, business leaders, policy makers, and solid waste managers.
Members are hosted with the Waste Trac Education Team at 1500 Bluff Street (behind the Cedar Falls Transfer Station and Recycling Center).
We are currently looking for members. For details visit the AmeriCorps Website
Learn more about Green Iowa AmeriCorps Sustainable Schools on social media!
Find out what Members are working on, watch videos, get tips for living more sustainably, and much more: