Even small events can create a large amount of waste. To promote the recycling of plastic bottles, cans, and paper during public and private gatherings, the Black Hawk County Solid Waste Management Commission has portable event recycling frames and bags that can be borrowed free of charge (with your refundable deposit).
This equipment loan program is available for community events in areas that are serviced by the Black Hawk County Sanitary Landfill, including:
- All cities and the unincorporated area in Black Hawk County
- All cities and the unincorporated area in Bremer County
- All cities and the unincorporated area in Fayette County
- Within the cities of Jesup and Fairbank in Buchanan County
- Within the cities of Dike, Grundy Center, Morrison, Reinbeck and Stout in Grundy County.
Consider using the recycling equipment at your next…
Walk/Run Event, Art Festival, City Celebration, Fundraiser, School Carnival, Block Party, Wedding, Sports Tournament, Workshop, Class Reunion, or other public or private special event!
- Setting up the recycling frames takes a fraction of the time it takes to distribute barrels.
- See through bags allow for visible contamination to be dealt with quickly.
- Large capacity bags can easily be handled by one person with no heavy lifting.
- Easier separation to recover five cent deposit containers.
Keep Your Event Clean
- Reduces litter clean up after an event.
- Helps keep recyclable materials out of the environment and out of the local landfill.
You have seen the Commission’s portable recycling equipment at:
- “Iowa Irish Fest” in Waterloo
- Cedar Valley Jaycee’s “Fireworks Festival” and “Live to 9” music series
- “Revibe” Music Festival
- Waverly “Oktoberfest”
- Northeast Iowa Food Bank’s “Hearth Fest” Fundraiser
- Special Olympics “Polar Plunge”
Learn more about event recycling:
- How the Program Works – download the application, brochure, and more
- Equipment Available
- The Refundable Damage Deposit
- Other Helpful Resources for Planning a “Green” Event