The Waste Trac Education Team's offices are now located in their NEW Education Center at 1500 Bluff Street in Cedar Falls (behind the Cedar Falls Transfer Station/Recycling Center). Two educators are available to provide solid waste education programs during a visit to their Education Center, at the Black Hawk County Landfill, or at public locations. This spring and summer, the Waste Trac Educators will be partnering with several local agencies to provide educational workshops and activities for Cedar Valley residents. We hope you can join in the fun!
Saturday, June 17 from 10:00 AM - 1:00 PM at various locations in Waterloo and Cedar Falls!
Then, join us at SingleSpeed Brewing (325 Commercial Street, Waterloo) at 1:30 PM for the prize drawing featuring a 55-gallon rain barrel, an Earth Machine compost bin, & potted baby trees. Must be present to win!
• FREE tours are open to the public. No pre-registration required!
• If you want to receive 1 EXTRA prize drawing ticket, you can log into Facebook by 3pm on June 16th to RSVP. Simply click "Going" on our Waste Trac Education Team Facebook event post!
• On the day of the event, sign a waiver at your first stop. You will then be able to receive one ticket at EACH site that you visit that you can use to enter in the prize drawing! The more locations you visit, the better your chances are of winning!
• This event is sponsored by the Healthy Cedar Valley Coalition in partnership with the SingleSpeed Brewing, the Dry Run Creek Watershed Improvement Project, City of Waterloo, Green Iowa AmeriCorps, NE Iowa Food Bank, Waste Trac Education Team and Cedar Falls Seed Library.
• For more details, please contact the Waste Trac Education Team at 319-266-8722.
• Download the printable event flier or see location details below.
Visit these creative, sustainable backyards & green spaces at your own pace and in any order:
The Water Quality Property
1475 Laurel Circle, Cedar Falls
Permeable paver driveways and rain gardens can help manage stormwater runoff and beautify a property. Check out how this residence is treating 100% of the rain on their property in style and how you can do the same for your home.
Strike it Rich...With Black Gold
126 Home Park Blvd, Waterloo
Two styles of composting at this stop: backyard composting & indoor composting using the power of 1,000 redworms! See how banana peels & coffee grounds are turned into black gold and how compost tea is used in the vegetable garden.
Condo Community with Considerable Conservation
5300 Block of Meadowlark Lane, Cedar Falls
This is a one stop shop for backyard sustainability. Talk with the homeowner at 5317 Meadowlark Lane about tackling water issues with a bioswale, as well as greening up their properties with tree plantings, community garden, three staged composter, bluebird houses, and much more.
Save, Swap, Share! Tips for Seed Saving
Cedar Falls Seed Library, at Cedar Falls Library,
524 Main Street, Cedar Falls
Come & see how the Cedar Falls Seed Library works, what it offers, and how you can join! There will be a demonstration on how to harvest, save, and store the seeds from your own garden.
Parking lot...to Urban Garden!
NE Iowa Food Bank, 1605 Lafayette St., Waterloo
Stop by the food bank garden and learn about Broad Forks, no-till, berm style planting, and small-scale greenhousing!
Pavers & Prairie
Operation Threshold, 1535 Lafayette St., Waterloo
This site features a commercial application of permeable pavement for stormwater management. There will also be an opportunity to view native turf (that needs no mowing!) and a rain garden full of wildflowers at an adjacent property.
Thursday, March 9 from 6:30 - 8:30 PM at the
Waterloo Center for the Arts - Peterson Town Hall Room
(225 Commercial Street, Waterloo)
• Learn ways to save money while being more energy and resource efficient in and around your home! Speakers will cover topics including home energy fficiency, insulation, proper chemical disposal, the value of composting, soil quality restoration, rain gardens, and water quality improvement funding sources.
• FREE and open to the public. Refreshments will be served. No registration required!
• Enter the drawing to win a rain barrel, compost bin, or home efficiency kit. Must be present to win.
• These workshops are sponsored by the City of Waterloo, the City of Cedar Falls, the Black Hawk Soil and Water Conservation District - Dry Run Creek Watershed Project, Green Iowa AmeriCorps, and the Waste Trac Education Team.
• For details, please contact Josh Balk with the Black Hawk SWCD at 319-296-3262 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
for your school, youth group, or civic organization!
Education Main Page